What Memories! A Trip to Lisdoonvarna (County Clare), the Burren and the Dolmen Standing Stone

Last September 2023, I had the sudden temptation to up sticks, leave Eyeries and journey to County Clare. While I'd been there before with my family, I had never had the chance to stay in Lisdoonvarna or take a side trip to the Burren with its amazing Ancient Dolmen Standing Stone.  If you've never been to County Clare, you're in for a real Treat! When I was there, the weather was beautiful. It being the week of the local Dance Festival, people were dancing in the Streets to Irish Country Music, which is rather like US Country Music but with an Irish Twang, not a southern one. I met some amazing people who welcomed me with open arms. I stayed in a local hotel and a Bed and Breakfast (which wasn't too far from Town), and had amazing meals in both places (The BnB, Knockaguilla, was outstanding. I stayed for 3 nights. Breakfast was, of course, included but it was 'help yourself'. Guests made their own breakfast out of eggs, bread, sausages, rasher, tomotoes - and whatever happened to be in the kitchen. A WONDERFUL experience because it meant that you could make your own meal whenever you wanted to. Another thing: if you brought food with you, and left some behind, all the other Guests would use it so no waste at all! I gave it a 5 star rating on Booking.com, which is how I found it and booked it).

    The Road that I took to drive to Lisdoonvasrna is part of a large 'loop' or Ring around much of County Clare. I spent one day driving half of the loop from Lisdoonvarna to Ennistymon, then Inagh and up to Corofin. Along the way, I spend time at a number of Cathedrals where I met other tourists from Germany, Austria and France as they took tours of the local area. When I found out that I was welcome to join some of the tours, I did and we were all marveled by the sight of the Ancient carvings of the Saints, Angels and local Bishops that were hundreds of years old. A Mystic talked about the power of some of those Bishops and how one, Saint Patrick, drove out all the snakes from Ireland using his tall, strong staff. At a Holy Well outside a Cathedral, that same Mystic said, "People who lived here centuries before believed that if they blessed themselves in this Holy Well they'd be cured of all of the diseases that haunted this old part of Ireland. I blessed myself and he was right! I had a cold that was turning into a flu and the next morning, when I woke up, guess what? No coughing and no sore throat. I suspect that the Auld People back then put the Holy Water in a flask and took it home. There, they'd drink as much Holy Water as they needed to, to cure them of ailments like Rheumatism. 

    On the second day of my journey around that wonderful local area, I stopped at Poulabrone to visit THE DOLMEN Visitor Complex. (Find the Map of the area and some photos of the Dolmen here of the Dolmen here). What an amazing sight! If you haven't seen it yet, you still can by contacting DEE at mailto:info@ancientspritualtours.com. Tell her that Tom sent you and she just might give you a special seat on her Bus! The Dolmen has been standing there for thousands and thousands of years. When I saw it, the local expert who stood at the side of it said we could walk as close as we could but not to touch it. "People have been leaving Grafitti on these ancient, mystical stones for hundreds of years. So  please don't touch it." He pointed to some Grafitti that had been carved into it by an English soldier. Those who stood close could see the young man's initials.

    So what is a Dolmen, exactly?? To be honest, no one really knows. They can only guess. Some say that it's a place where the Ancients buried there dead. Others say that it marks the Grave of a High King. Yet others say that it's much like Newgrange, in County Meath. It aligns with the stars and sun to point out the seasons every year.

    Who knows? That's what I like about all of Ireland and County Clare. When it comes to things that are Ancient, not even wise archaeologists can be certain. As for me, what do I think the Dolmen is? Well, because I like Science Fiction, I think: it's a portal to the stars and distance galaxies... How's that for a guess?

    All the best from Southwest Ireland. Do contact Dee at Ancient Spiritual tours. Or, go to their website for more info: www.ancientspiritualtours.com/tours/

    And for some good reading material this summer, go to www.storylinesent.com to see our books and novels and to learn more about our two Feature Films, Dolphin Song and Lost Lovers.  

    My best to you for the summer. And, as the Ancients might say, "Blessed be to you, oh Great Queen Brigid. Keep us safe and this Autumn, let us have a good harvest to keep us well during the coming winter." 

(Read the following Meme for more information on taking a Tour in 2024 with Dee and Carl)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREAT MEMORIES with Carmel Prior to her Alzheimer's Disease